We have to end the false propaganda that all Muslims are terrorists. People in the Indian subcontinent and elsewhere are tired of communalism and religious bigotry, and are realising the great harm it does. To counter this poison, we have to administer antidotes. Non-Muslims observing roza for one day during Ramzan and non-Hindus observing vrat for one day during Navratri could be one such antidote.
Though I am a Hindu, for the last 25-30 years I have kept one day roza ( fast ) during the Muslim Holy month of Ramadan ( called Ramzan in India where I live ), usually on the last Friday, called Alvida..
former-sc-judge-markandey- katju-observes-fast-on-last- friday-of-every-ramzan- 2133853/
I also appeal every year to all non Muslims to do the same to express respect and solidarity with our Muslim brothers and sisters.
com/why-does-justice- markandey-katju-observe-a- fast-on-the-last-friday-of- every-ramzan/
india/justice-markandey-katju- urges-hindus-to-observe-one- ramazan-roza-fast-to-fight- communal-poison-1241265/
This does not mean that non Muslims must change their religion and become Muslims. It is just a symbolic act, to show our respect and solidarity with our Muslim brethren, who are often vilified.
I am a humble disciple of the great French political philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau ( 1712-78 ) who believed in the inherent goodness of people. I too think that 99% members of all religions, whether Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Sikh, Jew, Buddhist or any other, and of all races and communities, are good by nature. They are, however, vilified by the bigoted acts of the remaining 1%.
This year too I will observe one day roza tomorrow, 21st April 2023, which is the last Friday of Ramzan, and I appeal to non Muslims everywhere to do the same.
I enquired from my Muslim friends in Delhi who told me that the time of sehri, the time for beginning the fast in Delhi is 4.20 a.m. ( different regions have different timings ), after which one must not eat or drink anything till the time of iftaar, which is 6.50 p.m. here, when one may break the fast.
So I have told my wife to boil 2 eggs and keep them along with some bread and fruits and milk in the refrigerator at night today. I will get up early morning tomorrow, 21st April, at 4 a.m.and consume these with lots of water before 4.20 a.m, and then begin my fast, which will last till the time of iftaar.
When I was in California a few years back I kept one day roza during Ramzan, after which I had iftaar and dinner at the residence of my friend Shaista Ali who lives in California. Here is a pic of the iftaar. Standing next to me is my friend Santosh Addagulla.